Wednesday, February 17, 2010

bravery and health

Today is a beautiful day outside and after a bout of yucky tummy virus on Monday and then snow yesterday - I decided that today I would prioritize getting some sun. Sunlight is an important factor in the absorption of some vital vitamins and minerals, and I tend to avoid the outdoors in the winter - I just don't like the cold. This winter and fall have been particularly bad because of the fall out of this fall's surgery. Depression is not fun, but the good thing is that sunlight helps with that too.

Anyway, I decided that I would prioritize getting some sunlight today and I really dislike just sitting especially when it's cold. I could read or surf the web, but not fun in the cold. I'm also trying to get up of my big, curvy bottom more often, so what to do? In the vein of health I turned to an old friend that has supported my mental and spiritual health over the years - my fiber arts. Yes, I did it; I took a big deep breath and got out some spinning. Aaaahhhh, spinning on the deck of my house in the sunlight with my spindle, listening to my cheeckens cluck and crow..... some things could be better, but that was pretty damn close to as good as it gets.

See I gave up all fiber arts (knitting, spinning and the like) over 2 years ago when the carpal tunnel symptoms started - this was my first line of defense and I manage to stave off surgery for a couple of years, but.... those arts along with my sketching and painting have been a major source of mental and spiritual health - those expressions of myself help keep depression and anxiety away. I've missed them horribly especially knitting and spinning. My decision to have the surgery had a lot to do with trying to get those activities back into my life and until today I've been hesitant to try - fear that the carpal tunnel symptoms would come back held me back. But I did it - I stood in the sunlight looking for healing from a little sunlight and a little piece of wool and a spindle and you know what, I think it's working.

2 comments:

  1. That's so awesome!

    I have some raw angora fiber from Luigi. Let me know if you'd be interested in spinning it into yarn ;).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should be teaching you to spin it!

    ReplyDelete