Wednesday, February 3, 2010

enjoying the bounty of last years harvest

As many of you know, last summer was not a banner year for many home gardeners here in Maine. A very rainy Spring and early Summer made gardening challenging especially for vegetables. To top all those challenges off, this year was my first garden, so I did not have a whole lot to show for my gardening work this past year except lessons.

The one area that really flourished in my garden was my herbs. I had a ton of rosemary and thyme at the end of the season and I dried much of it. We have a string tied along our hall ceiling on which are hung lots of bunches of rosemary, thyme, lavender, and sage. I also dried some rosemary and thyme in the oven, so have some in mason jar on the counter. The thyme on the counter ran out, so I jsut spent an enjoyable hour or so stripping thyme leaves from our hall herbs to store on the counter - very handy to be able to grab a bit out of the jar to add to my cooking - love it!

Now, the rosemary is still overflowing in our household. My herb garden was an attempt at a knot garden with rosemary as the hedge marking the line of the knot. I've mulched the rosemary like crazy in hopes that some may winter over, but this means last year I go a ton of rosemary - I actually threw out 1/2 plastic bucket (the kind you get a Lowes) because I couldn't process it quickly enough and it started to rot. Now, I'm researching medicinal uses of rosemary to use some of this up. Next year if I stick to my rosemary hedge plan I can use the rosemary to make wreaths and other gifts for next Yule/Christmas. This year the carpal tunnel really cramped my hand-made gift options.

The best part of my afternoon herbal activities is the joy that I grew this - well we grew this, the boy helped a great deal even using the herb garden as a homeschool project last year. It's an amazing feeling knowing that even this small thing I can use to feed and medicinally treat my family fills me with a calm and even a bit of pride. This whole gardening thing really rocks! It's time to start planning for this summer.

1 comment:

  1. Rosemary is good for headaches :). It's also good on pizza, on roasted chicken, on oven roasted potatoes with garlic and olive oil. I love rosemary, and I've never been able to grow enough of it to meet my needs.

    ReplyDelete