Saturday, March 20, 2010

SPRING IS HERE!


Blessed Ostara to one and all. Spring is definitely here. The living room is filled with the sounds of peeping, the cats are clustered around the brooder watching the new cheekies, there are seedlings beginning to sprout in the bathroom (to keep cats out of the dirt), the first bed has been tilled, and seeds have arrived or are on order.
the newest batch of cheeckies.

Whew. Lots is planned for our humble homestead this summer. We are expanding our laying flock by 8 hens: a RIR, a Barred Rock, 3 Australorps (the cheecken of my childhood ;) and 3 Ameraucanas. We also have 10 Cornish Crosses - Nuggets 1-10 right now and an assortment of 15 dual purpose breed cockerels coming next month. Good eating for the family this Fall and Winter. We're hoping to raise all our chicken meat from now on - also exploring the possibility of a pig next year that we would raise, but split the cost and meat with some friends. We'll see how the cheeckens go.

We are also expanding the garden quite a bit, which after last year is very brave of me - I only got some herbs and bush beans out of my garden last year, so I'm really taking a chance with my skills. They're only seeds right? If it works out, lots of vegis in cans and the freezer, if it doesn't, I have two farmers' markets down the street. Gotta love living in the country. My beloved bent some electrical conduit for me to make hoop tunnels to start my cold weather seeds, but the weather is so good I'm not sure if I should use them now or wait until the Fall. It is possible that we could get another hard freeze, but it seems unlikely. I'm planning on planting this weekend, so I've got to make a decision and if it's the wrong one....well, it's only seed right?

Other big news at the homestead - I'm knitting again!!!! As my friend Jim says, "Hope is knitting, all is right with the world". It's amazing to me how much calmer I feel and more connected to all of life now that I can partake once again in my favorite pastime. I've already "finished" a lace scarf of homespun (I think it may need to be longer, so I may frog a bit and lengthen it) and yes this was my first post surgery project (leave it to me to start again with lace ;). I now have a pair of socks on the needles for beloved and I'd like to get 5 pair per family member knit by Yule, plus a sweater for the girl - thinking a cardigan I may try to design myself. As I knit and finish projects I'm happy to post pictures if anyone is interested.

Life is definitely good on our Hopeful, Humble (and Happy) Homestead.




3 comments:

  1. Gramps used to say, "Don't plop em into the ground until the first full moon of May". LOL You know those old timers... Very excited your back to knitting again...your hands must be doing well...good for you...congratulations on the new cheeckens...Hope, You give me hope...:)also, I couldn't post this unless I used my daughters google acct...so this is Heather Mains...lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your new starts - cheekens included! I hope the tree book helps for planning next Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope! I'm so happy to hear you're knitting again. That's, like, the best news I've had all day!

    ReplyDelete