Friday, April 2, 2010

the fragility of life


Well, we're down to 9 nuggets. One got very lethargic, had some runny white coming out of the vent, went into spasms and just died. All happened in less than a hour. The poor little guy was a bit lethargic this morning, but got up wandered around and had some food, so I thought he'd be just fine until about a hour ago. The Girl is the most matter of fact about it- she feels bad, but she really seems okay with it - she was patting him before we put him away for burial later today when Beloved gets home. The Boy barely noticed; he borrowed a Nintendo DS game from a friend and that's all he has any interest in right now.

Now we'll empty out the brooder box, scrub it all down with hot water and apple cider vinegar, add new shavings, and clean food and water dishes with hot water and apple cider vinegar.

Having grown up on a hobby farm and next to a working farm, I know that a chick dying is just part of the experience - there was probably nothing I could have done differently and the chick was probably just not very strong - chicks die, but now I worry that I did something wrong and I'm afraid we may lose more. big sigh.... Besides, as the Girl says, "Now we can't eat him."

All this talk of my brooder box reminds me that I don't thing I've ever shared pictures, so here you go if you're interested:




...and I built it myself last year when the first batch of chicks outgrew there previous "home" and the coop wasn't finished. I think it came out well.

2 comments:

  1. Hope, I'm sorry to hear about the chick. We have been fortunate with chicks, but we have lost two chickens in the last few months. Of course, you know the girls treat them like pets ... they are taking it well. We have stopped burying the dead animals (or parts) and have started taking them "back to the forest." We know we have fishers, racoons, coyotes, etc. So, we give back to nature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have the same, but bury them for fear of attracting those predators to our cheecken smorgasbord. I love that idea though.

    ReplyDelete